Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winter Wonderland (sort of)

We have finally been getting a sample of winter weather here in Syracuse, although overall the amount of snow has been disappointing.  I am entirely impressed with the "snow upkeep" as a whole.  Last weekend we had an amount of snow which would have sent Delaware into a State of Emergency, and here, the roads were clear, salted, with no ice and NOTHING closed.  I was worried because I had a vet appointment with the dogs (big mistake to take both of them at the same time, by myself) and a hair appointment on Saturday, but nothing shut down.  I am still holding out for snow storms with the term "feet" in it.  Hopefully in February.

We have been enjoying the "weather" though, and managed to get in a day of snow-shoeing last week and a nice winter hike this week.  Kevin discovered this neat little state park(i think? maybe county) called Camillus Unique Area, and it is about 15 minutes from our house.  We had a great time on our inaugural snow-shoe trek with another couple from Kevin's program and their dog, Frank.  We now know our warm winter gear really works, because it was 15 degrees out and I had to unzip my coat!  That L.L. Bean long underwear and wool socks really do the trick.


The dogs had a great time too!  However, Emily is not a fan of the snow in general.  Her paws get too cold, which never really happens to Baxter.  I am trying to come up with a dog boot design for her ... I'll keep you updated.
Here's a couple more from this weekend:

There's a nice view from the top of a few hills on this hike.  If you look closely in this picture you can see our lake and the city.


Kevin was very happy to see all these antler rubs ... he thinks he might have some luck antler hunting this Feb.

Digging for something ... mice maybe
 Poor girl does not like those spiky things that stick to her.

In other news, Kevin has been busy studying for the third part of his board exams, which he takes tomorrow and on Tuesday.  I have gotten a lot busier at work, which makes me enjoy it that much more.  We're both getting excited for our vacation in February!


Also, I finally spotted some birds at my bird feeder today!  I hope they keep coming back:

No comments:

Post a Comment