Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Homemade Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style

This is my last full week not-working in Syracuse (I will be home next week), so I wanted to make sure to make some dinners that I have been wanting to try.  I am sure that I will not be cooking as many things "from scratch" after a day of work.  I actually have to start preparing for the fact that I am still going to be doing all the cooking/cleaning/grocery shopping and such as well as working a full week, ahh the life of a resident's wife ... I just remember that Kevin works two times the hours that I will be, which makes it a little easier to not complain.  I am actually not sure how all the women in our program that have children as well do it.  Anyway, I have been "pinning" on Pinterest  a lot of yummy things, and one of those was homemade Pitas from this site: homemade pita recipe ... to go along with the pitas I decided to make chicken gyros, with the recipe from here: Chicken Souvlaki Gyros ... and the result was DELICIOUS!

First up, the pita bread:
They were pretty easy to make, just a little time consuming.  I am wondering if there would be a way to make the dough/let it rise in the breadmaker and then be able to just bake them up right quick.

Pita Bread
Yield: 8 pitas
Ingredients:
3 cups flour, plus 1/2-3/4 cup more as needed
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar or honey
1 packet instant yeast
1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups water, roughly at room temperature
2 tbsp. olive oil, vegetable oil, butter or shortening


First you mix the dry ingredients together, then add the water and olive oil.  Mix together with a wooden spoon.  Once mixed, then knead the dough for 10 minutes or mix on low with the dough hook in an electric mixer (I used the mixer).  The dough was a little sticky, so during this step I added flour until the dough formed a ball away from the side of the bowl.  
After ten minutes, form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl and cover with a warm towel.  Allow to rise for 60-90 minutes, or until it reaches double its size.  (My dough did not rise very well, I don't know if I had bad yeast or what.  However, it did not seem to effect the outcome, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if this happens to you.)
Once risen, punch the dough once and then separate it into 8 equal portions.  It was pretty sticky at this point, so I added a little more flour and floured my hands before handling.
Roll each portion into a small ball, cover and let sit for 20 minutes, meanwhile preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven now, if not, turn over a cookie sheet in the oven which can be used as a cooking surface.
After 20 minutes, roll each ball into approx. a 6 in. diameter pita
Allow to sit on a greased cookie sheet for 40 minutes or so, they should rise to almost twice their size. (mine actually didn't rise that much, again.)
Place as many you can on the pizza stone, and allow to bake for 3-4 minutes.

Then you get these delicious pitas!
As for the souvlaki part of the equation ... the only mildly complicated thing was to make the tzatziki sauce .. I just chopped the cucumbers in my food processor and then added the rest of the ingredients.





All ready to go .... Kevin was working late, so I put all the ingredients in tupperware containers so that I could put them away for him to eat later.
It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment