Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fun Halloween Stuff

We had a great first Halloween in Syracuse.  To start off the festivities, I went pumpkin picking with some of the other ortho wives and cutie kiddies.  This was the first time I actually went into the field and picked my pumpkins .. and I don't know why you wouldn't do it any other way!  It was cheaper ($2 a pumpkin!) and a lot more fun.


All our pumpkins:
After picking our pumpkins we visited the small petting zoo they had on the property.

This little guy is the cutest/sweetest kid ever.

Unfortunately we ended up needing to make a trip back to PA for a funeral, so we were not actually at our house for Halloween.  We missed out on our first Trick-or-Treaters! I also did not carve my pumpkins, which I am really disappointed about.  Kevin is not a big fan of pumpkin carving, and we have nasty black squirells that ate chunks out of them!  Oh well, maybe next year.  They do look nasty now besides the big chunks, but you get the idea of why I couldn't really carve them.

We did get to enjoy some Halloween festivities though, a resident in Kevin's program and his fiance hosted an awesome Halloween party!  We went as a white tailed deer and a hunter.  It was pretty easy to put my costume together (I just shopped for camo in Walmart and Target), but Kevin was determined to wear REAL deer antlers in his costume, so it took some ingenuity and creativity on my part to make his costume.  Here's a quick overview of what I did:

First I picked out matching antlers ... which may seem silly to most people, how many choices can you have?!  However, Kevin has 16 individual deer antlers that he collected last year by walking around fields at White Clay and Fair Hill.  I simply chose the smallest antlers he had so that they would be easier to deal with.
 I made the rest of this up as I went along, but I will go over my thought process a little bit.  I knew the antlers would need something sturdy to hold them up, so I originally thought of a head band.  However I still thought they might fall forward or backward, Kevin wanted me to hot-glue or duck-tape them to a helmet ... but I honestly could not find a cheap, plastic helmet anywhere!  I don't know where kids get toy construction-worker helmets.  So I had to come up with something else, while I was in A.C Moore I saw the plastic checkered stuff that you use for cross-stitching with yarn.  I bought one sheet of it to make a sturdy helmet of sorts. 

Since Kevin was at work, I used his fitted Phillies hat as a guide for his head size (and my own head because they aren't that different in size).   I made a ring to go around his head and then attached a band across the top to stabilize the antlers to:
 This is what I ended up with:
I then put a brown hat(bought at Walmart) over top of it to hide the "bare bones" of the thing. 
 I actually didn't attach the hat, it stayed nicely over top
 To insert the antlers I cut holes in the hat, and in the top band of the plastic stuff.  I then poked the antlers into the holes and generously hot-glued them in place.  I then took a picture to send to Kevin so that he could let me know if I needed to change anything.
I just had to tweak a few things from there.  I re-enforced the antlers by placing another piece of the plastic between them and hot-gluing .. I also placed a little felt over top of the whole plastic thing so the antlers wouldn't poke Kevin in the head, and the plastic wouldn't be itchy.
I then just cut out two ears from the fuzzy, fur fabric I bought and felt, I glued the bottom together to make them curl in like real ears:
 I just glued the ears in place and ended up with this:

I also made Kevin a tail out of white, fuzzy fabric and made it "stand up" by loosely sewing the top to Kevin's brown sweat pants.

And here we are together:
We had a great time!








No comments:

Post a Comment