Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fall Means Yummy Food

Alright, so it isn't quite Fall yet, but it is really beginning to feel like it.  This will be our first autumn in Syracuse, and so far I love it.  The humidity is almost gone, the air is crisp and I have noticed leaves slightly changing color.  Fall is probably my favorite season, and the main reason for that (other than my birthday) is the food(and drinks)!  Pumpkin spice lattes? c'mon!  So as soon as I returned from vacation (I was at the beach last week), I began craving my favorite all time fall meal ... Butternut squash soup with brie grilled cheese.  This is a Cooking Light recipe from Oct. 2001, so yummy and light, what's not to love?  I made this the other night and we loved it ... here is the rundown:

Ingredients List:
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 leek)
1 tblsp curry powder
1 tblsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper  (actually not a big fan of this, I put in maybe 1/8 tsp, but I don't like spice!)
5 garlic cloves

6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut (I buy and cut a fresh squash, you can also buy already cut up)
6 cups water
4 cups chopped and peeled granny smith apples (tartness adds flavor, but you can also use what is on hand)
1/3 cup heavy cream (can substitute half and half, just less creamy)
3/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
Chopping and peeling a fresh butternut squash:

For those of you that don't know what a butternut squash is, it is tan and shaped like a pear.  I peel the squash first with a vegetable peeler, it is the easiest way I have found.  Then I cut it in half, and remove the seeds with a spoon (they look like pumpkin seeds), then all you have to do is cut the orange part into cubes.

Next: Heat oil in large dutch oven (or big pot) over medium heat
Saute leeks and all ingredients through garlic (this is when your house starts to smell goood)
Once you can smell the garlic, add the water, apples and squash
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.  Your apples and squash will look all nice and mushy, and again, your house will smell like fall! (if you are making anything else to go with this meal you can do it now)
This next part is my favorite part, blend the soup with an immersion blender.
Two things, my immersion blender was a wedding gift and is one of my favorite mini-appliances(thank you Kylee!).  If you don't have one, I recommend one, if you are registering for a wedding ... add one!  It is great for making soup and applesauce and is easy, fast and clean.  If you do not have an immersion blender, you can blend this soup in a regular blender, it just takes more time and is a little messy.  Just add a few cups at a time to a blender, and blend, saving the pureed soup to another bowl (see, messy!)  When you're done your soup will be lovely and creamy:

At this point, I kept the heat on low and simmered for about another 30 minutes ... because I was waiting for Kevin to come home, but if you are ready to eat the next step is to stir in the cream and salt and heat for about 5 more minutes.  Then you're ready to serve!  I add a scoop of sour cream to the bowl for extra creaminess.
 Enjoy!!
Side note; cooking light has several butternut squash soup recipes, I also love the "curried squash and apple soup" from March 2006.  It uses chicken broth instead of water, and has a slightly different combination of spices, including fresh grated ginger.  So I recommend searching Cookinglight.com for other ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment