Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Friends, Family and Labor day

We had a fantastic labor day weekend!  My siblings and their significant others were able to make it up to Syracuse to visit, along with Kevin's best friend, Adam.

I actually started out the visit with a minor breakdown/stressful day on Friday because I somehow managed to start multiple DIY electrical projects, while also needing to clean the house, do laundry and get rooms ready for guests.  Needless to say I was a little overwhelmed, and ended up welcoming Adam into an uncleaned house with tools scattered everywhere while I was up on the dining room table trying to install a new light by myself.  I was seriously grumpy and a tiny bit stressed, but Adam was nice enough to help me install the light (which took 30 minutes to the 5 hours I had already spent on it!!), and then he and Kevin went to Skaneateles for a couple hours while I cleaned the house.  When they got back, we went to the Retreat (our local bar/restaurant) for a late dinner and some beers ... which made me feel much better!  I learned the lesson NOT to start too many projects by myself, especially if they are a little out of my realm of capabilities.

Everyone else arrived late Friday night, and pretty much headed to bed right away.  Saturday we went on a fun hike, which the puppy dogs loved. (Did I mention we had FOUR dogs in our house for the weekend?)

That evening Becca and Katie went to The New York State Fair to see Sugarland in concert, while the rest of us enjoyed our first ButzenFest (a party thrown every year by one of the ortho families).  We had an awesome time, and Kevin enjoyed to effects of being the only first year present at the party (AKA minor hazing), which was really all in good fun.  Every time we spend time with people in Kevin's program we become more and more comfortable in our new life.  Everyone is so welcoming, and we're really lucky to have ended up with a great group of people.  I can also mention that I think we have scarred Adam, Harley and Stephanie by the ability of a group of doctors to party like college students (it is still a little crazy to me too).  I stole these pictures from Leah ... I have to get much better about taking my camera places now.





On Sunday, Kevin had to work so the rest of us went on a spontaneous wine tour.  We actually had a really good day, which for being last minute and unplanned is really cool.  We started off at the Finger Lakes Distillery on Seneca Lake.  If you have never been to a tasting at a distillery, it is a unique experience, you are pretty much taking shots of different types of liquor ... which was a little hard to handle on a slight hangover.  We stopped at a craft shop, and then Penguin Bay Winery.  We ended up making the last stop of the day at Wagner Winery and Brewery with a late lunch and beer and wine tastings.  I highly recommend this stop on a Seneca Lake Wine tour, the food at the cafe was great, it is in a beautiful setting and it is a nice change to do a Brewery Tasting.  The Oatmeal Stout was amazing by the way.  We rounded off the day with take out from Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse for dinner, which is world famous for it's fantastic BBQ and well worth the wait.









All in all we had a fantastic weekend.  It was so nice to have everyone come see our house and to spend some quality time with family.  Oh yeah, it is awesome to be done with Kevin's toughest rotation .. ortho trauma.  He is now on an ER rotation, and has a lot more free time (2 days off a week!)  We are working on getting the outside of our house painted, which is being seriously delayed by all this rain.  I will be back with updates on the house in general soon.
  








No comments:

Post a Comment