Monday, September 12, 2011

Front of the house update

I spent the entire day yesterday learning how to crochet hats, and I mean literally the whole day (I'll post on the fruits of that labor in a little bit).  So today I felt like I needed to get something done to make up for the lazy day yesterday, and I did just that.  Let me first remind you what the front of our house used to look like:


All of you know that we have spent some time painting our house(still not finished, so stay tuned), but after getting that ball rolling, we both realized that we wanted to update the landscaping in the front yard too.  See that big annoying tree/bush thing to the right of the entry-way, yeah I don't like it, and guess what? there is actually another tree behind it, a tall skinny pine tree.  I don't know if many of you know, but I really don't like pine trees, or pine bushes, or pine anything (unless it's a christmas tree).  I am not really sure why, I just don't ... so I also hate strongly dislike the bushes on either side of the front steps.  So today I took care of all those problems, oh yeah and I did some finishing touches on the front door:

I bet you're all really impressed ... "two trees and two bushes removed in one day?  How'd you do that?"  Well I didn't, not all of it anyways.  My plan was to use a hand saw to cut down the trees as shown below:
See the tiny stubs on the front .. that was after 15 minutes work ... this tree was proving to be more of a pain than I originally thought because it had so many little trunks.  Well lucky for me it was at this moment that our neighbor walked across the street and offered the use of her husband and his chain saw(they must think I'm crazy).  I gladly accepted, and ten minutes later I had this:


So I was saved, thanks neighbor Mike!  Next I tackled the bushes on either side of the steps ... which was grueling and tough and sweaty and took awhile (pat on my back)


Then I transplanted two bushes from our backyard to their new home on either side of the steps. Last, I rolled this huge cast-iron pot that was sitting in our backyard (left by the old owners) dug it in on its side and planted some mums to cover up the holes.

 Obviously we will eventually have to do some more landscaping here, but I think we'll wait for spring because I am more of a fan of flowers in a garden than shrubs and trees.  We do want to get a bush to block the corner of the house where the hose spigot is .. I am thinking lilac or butterfly bush, but I will have to check with my personal plant expert (Becca).  For now, I am really happy with the results, and I love my yellow front door!








No comments:

Post a Comment