Monday, September 19, 2011

What's for Dinner?

I had a little bit of trouble figuring out what to make for dinner tonight but Kevin voted for pork chops, so he pulled frozen pork chops out of the freezer before he left for work, but since we JUST had pork chops last week, (they were on sale at Wegmans so I bought a bunch) I wanted to do something a little bit different with them.  BUT since I had already decided not to go to the grocery store, I couldn't just search for "pork chop recipes" in Google and be able to make whatever looked good, so I experimented and made up my own recipe with what we had in the fridge and came up with this, and since it was delicious I decided to share.

Apple & Goat Cheese stuffed pork chops:
1/4 c. bread crumbs
celery
onion
1 apple
4 oz goat cheese
2 boneless pork chops
white wine

Saute the celery and onion, and then mix them with the bread crumbs in a bowl.  Cut and peel the apple (you probably only need 1/2 an apple) and mix it with the bread crumbs.  Cut a small slit in the side of each pork chop, and then continue to widen the cut until you have a pocket.  Stuff about an ounce of goat cheese into the pocket (I did this so that it wouldn't melt out while cooking, but you could mix it in with the apples and the bread crumbs) then as much of the apple/ bread crumb mixture that you can.  Brown on both sides on medium-high heat, add a small amount of white wine to the pan, cover and simmer on low heat until cooked through(about 40 minutes).  Serve with your favorite sides.

ready to simmer ..



Oh and I don't usually have goat cheese, or really even white wine on hand at all times, or celery for that matter.  So I shouldn't promote this as a normal "use what you have" meal.  I got the goat cheese at the Lively Run Goat Dairy, which was a stop on our wine tour ... recently, I perpetually have wine on hand from multiple wine tours, and the celery was left over from Chicken and Dumplings I made a few weeks ago.
yummy


No comments:

Post a Comment