Thursday, October 27, 2011

Marni's Grandma's Apple Pie Supreme


Marni's apple pie is actually her grandmother, Mildred Mead's recipe and it is by far my favorite apple pie.  I also think it was one of the first pies I learned how to make.  I was craving it over the past couple of weeks so I emailed Marni (a very close family friend) for the recipe and she was kind enough to send it to me.  It is so simple to make and delicious so I thought I'd share it.

Ingredients:
1/2 c. softened butter
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 c. all purpose flour

8-10 McIntosh Apples
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350º.  Butter a 9in. pie pan and set aside (I use the wrapping from the butter used in the topping)

Mix together the white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl

Peel and thinly slice your apples and layer them into your pie pan, between each layer sprinkle generously some of your sugar mixture until you have a heaping pile of apples and no more sugar.



Cream butter and brown sugar together, gradually add flour.

Take small amounts of mixture and pat into thin circles (approx. 3 in.) layer the circles over your apples until completely covered.


Bake at 350º for 40 minutes, then enjoy!  Since there is no true crust on this pie, I recommend placing a baking sheet under your pie to catch any drips.

No comments:

Post a Comment