Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bedroom Re-Design

Sorry I have been off the radar this week, it is not because I have been busy, but more like because I have had nothing to do!  I have been pretty bored this week, just doing yard work and basic stuff, so I am really ready to start a job ... or something!  So keep those fingers crossed, because I have not heard anything yet about the job I am hoping to get.  Sitting around not doing much, I have been thinking about house projects that I want to do, and the room at the top of my list is our bedroom.  I have never really liked it, and I would like to make it feel like a cohesive room, that adults live in ... not college students.  However, we do not have the budget to complete everything that I want to at the moment, so it will be a slow process.  I did come up with a mood board to visualize what I would like to accomplish, so I thought I would share it.  The main things on my list are to:

- Build a DIY headboard ... I debated about just waiting until we can afford an actual bed but came across some inspiration headboards on pinterest and realized that we could build a headboard for a very reasonable cost, which would keep me satisfied until we can buy the bed of our my dreams.  It involves plywood, foam and fabric ... So visualize something like this:

Instructions found here: Tufted headboard
and in this fabric:
- Make new curtains; I am thinking just standard panels that close all the way (will help keep our room warm), but I want to hang them floor to ceiling. 
- Paint Kevin's Dresser .. We don't have matching furniture in our room, and we can't afford to buy more, but pretty much all of the wood is dark in color except Kevin's dresser.  So I would like to paint it white and put new knobs on it.
- Sew a skirt for my vanity, and re-upolster the stool
- Re-paint the room ... the blue is just not doing it for me.

This may help you visualize what I'm thinking ... feel free to offer ideas or advice!
Explanation for the board:
1. "Worldly Grey" Sherwin Williams paint color, for the wall opposite the bed and the ceiling. (this wall slopes into the ceiling, so it would be a seamless transition.
2. "Amazing Grey" Sherwin Williams paint color .. for the other three walls

I love the combination of yellow and grey, and blue and green are by far my favorite colors.  I tried to go a different direction with our bedroom, but I just feel more comfortable with blue and grey.  I like that putting grey on the walls would allow for an easy change to accessories/bedding without changing the wall color.

3. I don't think the number is visible, but it is for the dresser (which is the one I actually own), it is the Hemnes Dresser from Ikea in black brown.  The rest of our furniture is about this color, so I added it in for reference.
4. Striped fabric from JoAnn Fabrics for the head board, I realize stripes will add a challenge to making the headboard because they will have to be kept straight ... but I am up for it!
5. This is an image of the pillow sham color that we already own, from Pottery Barn.  My comforter is also this color blue from L.L Bean (Ultrasoft Cotton Comforter in bay blue). When I say my comforter, I do mean my personal one .. Kevin and I sleep with twin comforters because we both cocoon ... sleeping with separate covers works for us!  I want to buy Kevin a matching comforter however, so they would be the same color.
6. Springmaid Daffodil Aris Coverlet from Target.  I have actually almost bought this coverlet (it's reversible) from Target multiple times, but wasn't sure I was going with yellow in the room.  It looks like I'll have to go snag it!  It's also very reasonably priced ($89.99).  Having a king-size coverlet allows me to make the bed over our twin comforters so that it looks nice.
7 and 8. Fabric from JoAnn Fabrics .. for pillow accents and I think I am going to use the yellow to cover our lamp shades.
9. Fabric for the curtains
10. Fabric for vanity and cushion on vanity stool
11. Rug (from Target) ... we have hardwood floors in our bedroom, which I can imagine will get cold in the winter.  I am debating about two 5X7s or one very large rug ... I liked this one because it was creamy and cushiony.

So that's what I have so far, I'll keep you updated with the progress (it might be awhile).

No comments:

Post a Comment